ServersFree.com

http://forum.micromart.co.uk/Topic455455.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Tippon - 19/04/2012 12:17:00
Decided to give them a go with two of my sites - one that hasn't been set up at all, and one that's badly in need of an overhaul. Transfers went well, and allowed me to set up the A records, and installing Wordpress was simple, took about three clicks. Then it all started going wrong.

I timed it so that one site would be active yesterday, and the other would be active today. Put a few of the pages on yesterday, and got the basics of the site set up as I wanted it, then tried to add some photos. I did this in exactly the same way as I do with my existing sites, but kept getting errors. The site kept crashing and wouldn't let me access it for an hour or two at a time. I deleted the plugins and new photos, thinking that everything was working before they were added, but nothing changed. Eventually, I gave up and went to bed, thinking that I might have exceeded my bandwidth while uploading all the photos multiple times.

I tried again this morning, but got a new error message:

http://redirect.main-hosting.com/ip_rate_limit_exceeded.php?id=7501&domain=aberdaremctc.co.uk&master=0

and now cannot access the site at all. FTP still works, but nothing else. Thinking I broke this site, I switched browsers and tried to set up the second site. Nothing at all. It just times out constantly. I can access the control panel, but that says that everything is fine for both sites.

Their only help system is a handful of basic FAQs, and a ticket system that doesn't exactly inspire confidence Pinch

I'm giving them a few hours, then wiping the lot and transferring it back, wasting a few days in the process Crazy
By Tippon - 19/04/2012 12:19:24
Typically, while I was writing this, the first site came back online! Pinch
By alex3410 - 19/04/2012 12:54:45
if they offer the space for free and without adds how are they making any money?
By Ritasueandbobtoo - 19/04/2012 13:05:20
Maybe there is upgrade packages? Not looked my self.
By Tippon - 19/04/2012 13:06:23
Apparently it's donated from their paid services and partners, but right now, it's not filling me with confidence Sad
By Drezha - 19/04/2012 13:34:54
Cheap VPS the way forward. Or for just HTML files and low traffic, use Dropbox as hosting.
By Ritasueandbobtoo - 19/04/2012 13:48:32
Told the people here before, if you want a full blown cpanel host I'll set you up if your a regular MM'ite, don't mind at all.  My sites run flawless. BigGrin Apart from human error Wink
By sgb101 - 19/04/2012 16:11:00
Ritasueandbobtoo (19/04/2012)
Apart from human error Wink

and there is a lot of that Tongue
By Basil - 19/04/2012 16:26:48
Drezha (19/04/2012)
Cheap VPS the way forward. Or for just HTML files and low traffic, use Dropbox as hosting.

Thousand times this.

Setting up a VPS is straightforward given the number of tutorials, guides and scripts and you've a ton more freedom.
By Tippon - 19/04/2012 18:52:13
Ritasueandbobtoo (19/04/2012)
Told the people here before, if you want a full blown cpanel host I'll set you up if your a regular MM'ite, don't mind at all.  My sites run flawless. BigGrin Apart from human error Wink

Thanks RSB Smile

The reason for me using them was basically to test them out though, and so far, they're failing Sad

Daft question time: What's a VPS?
By Drezha - 19/04/2012 19:16:51
Virtual private server. It's essentially your own Linux install on a server. But VPS's you can run on one server, so one server can run many VPS.
By Tippon - 19/04/2012 19:40:26
Drezha (19/04/2012)
Virtual private server. It's essentially your own Linux install on a server. But VPS's you can run on one server, so one server can run many VPS.

Sounds cool, thanks Smile

Are there any advantages to running a VPS for hosting a standard website?
By Drezha - 19/04/2012 19:45:31
Well you have full control over the server - you can run whatever you want in terms of hosting software (Apache, nginix, lighttpd etc) and can run scripts in the background (for example, auto updating your sitemap for the google bots) - it's more flexible basically.
By Tippon - 19/04/2012 20:05:44
That's cool Smile

Sounds like a bit much for what I'm doing at the moment, but I'll definitely look into it, thanks Smile
By Drezha - 19/04/2012 20:42:31
I got mine from BuyVM and it cost less than a years hosting service (hence why I went for it!)
By alex3410 - 20/04/2012 08:52:23
how hard is it to set up a VPS / install the OS? i have only ever used shared web hosting but have a project in mind that may benefit from a VPS

just not so sure on installing it / keeping it updated
By Drezha - 20/04/2012 10:14:07
Installing is easy - they should have a control panel and you just select what you want from a dropdown list and it creates it for you. Then updating is the same as updating linux (so usually sudo apt-get upgrade or whatever the command is.

Setup of software etc is done via command line so if you don't like that, it might not be for you. Though usually it's by changing text files so you can use your computer to create the files and edit them and then upload using SSH.