Profile Picture

Android Software

Posted By The Duke 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Overclocked

Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 15 minutes ago
I thought now that there are a few of us now using android devices and there seems to be some interest from the non android users that a software thread may be a good way to share software information.

Any facebook users the facebook ap has just been updated to v.1.4.0, this brings its group and places feature into the Android app.

A must have for android 2.1> is dolphin HD browser, fantastic piece of kit, and to pair with that is Bookmarks to SD app, it backs up your bookmarks.

If your a user of LastPass, password manager, there is an app for that (sorry) works with stock browser and Dolphin HD but there is a fee, i think its £1 a month, but worth it.

There is a host of file managers but my recommendation would be Astro file manager, simple yet effective.

Barcode scanner, is a must as soon as you start the phone, come in useful when u come across site that recommend app’s they mostly have a barcode link.

I also like the simple Notes app, lets u create notes and back then up to SD, very handy indeed.
greader is a great little rss feed, that is my personal fav but others may disagree.

Another must is the GPS Status and Toolkit, it does a lot but the main reason i use it is because it has the abity to soft reset the GPS chip, it dumps the file that get clogged up in there sometimes.

For the F1 fans there is F1 Live Stream, this is not the official, that is very expensive but the Free version, that, streams the times in real time, good when watching the race.

Last but not least form me is Sky+ app lets you remotely record, i dnt use it much but always glad its there when its needed.

Free 20GB cloud storage at Copy.com

Every solution uncovers a new problem

Chromebook
 HP11 & HTC M8
Thinkpad X200t

Edited
Last Year by sgb101
Drezha
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
4GB

4GB (4.9K reputation)4GB (4.9K reputation)4GB (4.9K reputation)4GB (4.9K reputation)4GB (4.9K reputation)4GB (4.9K reputation)4GB (4.9K reputation)4GB (4.9K reputation)4GB (4.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I tried Dolphin but found it didn't offer anything over the default browser bar the tabs and then they didn't work half the time. Sad And then to cap it off, they didn't have multi touch zoom on 1.6 whereas the default browser did. At least it does now in 2.1 so I've not bothered to try again. And Fennec (Firefox mobile version) is also terrible - slow and bulky.

Astro I give thumbs up to as well.

I recomment Evernote and Dropbox apps highly - I use them a lot.

If anyone can recommend a decent replacement email app, I'm all ears as I dislike the fact the default app won't let me choose where to put sent messages and deleted etc - for example, delete an email from my Google Apps email and it'll move it to IMAP/Trash instead of the Google Bin and send an email with my work email and it'll add it to Sent whereas our exchange adds it to Sent Items.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Duke
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Overclocked

Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)Overclocked (9.5K reputation)

dolphin for below 2.1 is no good, but Dolphin HD is a different browser to Dolphin (non HD) give it a go Drezha it is very good,

the Firefox mobile is not to good very slow on the up side FF v.4 is in beta now, but sadly reports are is very slow too, but maybe the releave version will be better. but it will have to be very good to temped me from Dolphin HD.

Chromebook
 HP11 & HTC M8
Thinkpad X200t

Spedley
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
4GB

4GB (4.0K reputation)4GB (4.0K reputation)4GB (4.0K reputation)4GB (4.0K reputation)4GB (4.0K reputation)4GB (4.0K reputation)4GB (4.0K reputation)4GB (4.0K reputation)4GB (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Ryanza OCLF2 is a lag fix which works great for the Galaxy S. Available in Market Place in both free and donation versions.

It make the phone spritely although I haven't found the drawback yet?

gaming: Q9550 / GTX 580 / P5K-E / 2x2GB PC8500 / 60GB OCZ Vertex 2E + 1TB Spinpoint3 / ViewSonic VX2835wm / Win7-64
server: E2140 / 775Dual-VSTA / 2x1G PC8500 / 2TB+1TB+1TB+250MB / HD5450 / Vista32 Ultimate
The Duke
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Overclocked

anyone that uses godaddy there is a great app that lets you manage domains and a lot of thier srvices

avalible through themarket and direct from godaddy.com

Chromebook
 HP11 & HTC M8
Thinkpad X200t

Edited
4 Years Ago by sgb101
The_Pumpkin
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
256MB

256MB (241 reputation)256MB (241 reputation)256MB (241 reputation)256MB (241 reputation)256MB (241 reputation)256MB (241 reputation)256MB (241 reputation)256MB (241 reputation)256MB (241 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I recently got myself a SE X10 Mini Pro, here are a few of my favourite apps;

1 Advanced Task Killer (free of course), good little app for checking which apps haven't closed and are using valuable pwoer resources (the x10 mini pro has a pants battery life, every little helps), this app does come with adverts but most free ones do.  2 NetCounter (free), good for keeping an eye on data usage, it shows totals for cell usage and wifi (although the wifi counter has stopped working since the upgrade to 2.1).  3  Xperia Flash light (free), this does exactly what it says on the tin, a cool little flash light for the xperia range of phones.  4  Battery Indicator (free), this little app puts a %age of battery life left in the notification bar.  5  Scanner Radio (free), this app is quality, live scanner feeds from around the world (well USA, Canada and UK), although the UK only two feeds, but the yanks are well worth a listen to every now and then.   6  Where's my Droid (free), cool app to help find the phone when its in silent mode.

I also have verious sound boards and other assorted apps but those 6 above are some of the gems i have found in the Market.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE (unlocked 3 cores @ 3.72GHz), Asus M4A87TD, 4GbDDR3Crucial Ballistic1333MHz, Sapphire 7850HD (1020/1300), Hitahi 250Gb SATA II, Seagate 250Gb Sata II,Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB, Sony DVD-RW x2, LG Flatron 20" LCD(1600*900), Win 7 64bit, 2 x CM Turbine case fans, 2 x BitFenix case fans, all in a BitFenix Shinobi Black Windowed case.

Tesco Hudl
Samsung Galaxy S3
Home BB

Sparky
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
512MB

512MB (533 reputation)512MB (533 reputation)512MB (533 reputation)512MB (533 reputation)512MB (533 reputation)512MB (533 reputation)512MB (533 reputation)512MB (533 reputation)512MB (533 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I use K9 for email, It's miles better than the supplied app, and have 2 accounts set up with it.

I also have alkido as it syncs with my smashbooks account.

For internet I use opera.

For notes I use Colornotes (not my spelling).

myplayer for bbc iplayer content.

Droid dictionary to replace my scrabble dictionary.

And most important as I get loads of marketing spam calls, Extreme call blocker droid.

This lets me send caller withheld numbers straight to voicemail, And known spam numbers to cut cut off after one ring.

It also has the same for sms.

I also use advanced task killer.

Rockplayer for media.

And lastly backitup (paid for version) for obvious reasons.

It's guaranteed that prices will be cut the day after you buy your new shiny processor.

Help desk.

Customer: "I have problems printing in red." Helpdesk: "Do you have a color printer?" Customer: "Ah. Thank you."

Helpdesk: "How may I help you?"

Customer: "I'm writing my first e-mail."

Helpdesk: "Okay, and what seems to be the problem?"

Customer: "Well, I have the letter 'a' in the address, but how do I get the circle around it?"

The Duke
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Overclocked

Tomorrow (18/11/2010) the market is due to go down for 6 hours, and with it you may lose some feature on your devices for the time period. imagine it will be during the night, US pacific time, so it nicely fits in to daytime GMT.

its not all bad new as earlier in the year at Google io, they mentioned market updates pre froyo (you should remember:blinkSmile if you dont the is a nice 5 min video clip here.

its not a given that any of the above features will be made public tomorrow, but would be nice to have the steaming built in as ive not yet found an app im entirely happy with to do this. but the market place on the web will be good, and never seen why is wasnt available from day one

EDIT~ this is likely to only effect 2.1+

Chromebook
 HP11 & HTC M8
Thinkpad X200t

Edited
4 Years Ago by sgb101
The Duke
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Overclocked

picked my phone up this morning and had 15 software updates. i smell 2.3 is very close,my bet is the 24/5th to co inside with thanksgiving.

may be time to route the desire !

Chromebook
 HP11 & HTC M8
Thinkpad X200t

The Duke
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Overclocked

if you want to sync music to your device winamp and double twist have both just been updated to do so.

for the feature to be enabled within double twist, you will need to upgrade, to the paid for version, but if its somthing you use then £1.27 isnt a lot. myself i dont have any misic on my phone as id rather listen to podcasts and the radio. sowing my age!

also so the double twist AirSync (as its called) is very easy to set up ive been informed.

i cant comment on the freeness/price of the winamp as i dont use it.

Chromebook
 HP11 & HTC M8
Thinkpad X200t

Reading This Topic